AQUATIC RISK ASSESSMENT: HOME POOL
There are over 10 Million Home/Residential Pools United States! This Risk Assessment Program is designed to create positive, engaging, and tangible action items for all residents, guests, and users of nearly 10 million home pools in the United States.
If you don’t have a home pool, BUT live in an HOA, Apt Complex, Condo, Sr. Living Center, etc. “ This Program also works for Community/Residential Pools as well!!
|Resident Name: ________________ Address: ______________ Email: _________________ Pool Builder/Service Company: ____________________ Company Address/Contact: __________ Name of Individual Completing Form: _____________________|
|Above/In-ground: _______ Entry Points: _______________ (stairs/ladder/etc.) |
Min Depth: _____ Max Depth: ____
of Gallons: _____ Chemical system: _______ Depth Marker/Barriers: ___________
WATER SAFETY SIGNAGE:
- Is there a Stop sign indicating not to go in the water/pool area? YES: __ NO: ____ (at ALL exits)
- Is there a designated waiting area for kids (anyone) to stay in until an adult is in the water? YES: ____ NO: _____
- Is there signage/messaging indicating Responsible Adult Watching Water? YES: ____ NO: ____
- Is there No Lifeguard on Duty Sign: YES: ____ NO: ____
- Are there education for the homeowners/pool users about Drowning Prevention (Call 9-1-1, begin CPR, etc (i.e. Equivalent to Home Fire/tornado drill) YES: ____ NO: ____
- Are there General pool rules that are in symbols, characters, and/or universal language that expresses safety rules? (no underwater breath holding, no swimming alone, etc.) YES: ____ NO: ___
- Are there painted/visible signs on the concrete/ground directly next to the pool edges indicating safety rules? (no diving, no swimming alone, etc.) YES: ____ NO: ____
- Are there any general CPR/Rescue Instructions available for pool users? YES: ____ NO: ____
FAMILY ACTIVITY: # 1 STOP SIGNS:
STEP 1: Identify EVERY access point from inside to outside (side doors, back doors, garage doors, fence gates, etc, etc.
STEP 2: Get RED STOP SIGNS size paper/images
STEP 3: Have each family member paint/color/personalize their OWN STOP SIGNS that lead to the Pool Area** sign their names, make it their own!
STEP 4: (laminate them) and post them! With the family, as a family activity!! Make it an experience with goal being that each child, (and neighbor/visitor) takes personal ownership of Safety!
LAYERS OF PROTECTION:
- Number, Label and List of entry points into the pool area (gates, back doors, etc,)
#1____________ #2 ____________ #3_____________ #4____________ #5________
- Are there secure exit points from the house that specifically limit a non-swimmer access to the pool? YES: _____ NO: ______ (heavy sliding glass, Tall turn handle door knobs, etc
- Are there secure gates/fences/etc. to restrict non-resident access to the pool from outside the house? YES: ______ NO: ____
- Is the Edge of the pool deck a different color/texture then the surrounding deck? YES:___ NO:___
- Is there a pool cover? YES _ NO:___
IF YES: How are individuals protected if they fall/step on it ______________________________________________________
- Are there working lights in and/or around the pool that provide ample visibility? YES: ___ NO: ____
- Are there any current alarm, alert, and/or detection systems that create a message/sound when any entry point/water movement etc. has been intruded upon?Â YES:____ NO: ____
- How is access to the pool(s) restricted/protected to ensure patrons are using pool when approved? (i.e. swipe card, passcode, etc.)
FAMILY ACTIVITY: #2
** Designate a Family-Focused Safe Zone.
STEP 1: Identify an area outside that is away from the pool
STEP 2: Create a fun and welcoming message/design (favorite Disney Character, Sports, team, family name, etc
STEP 3: Teach family members, neighbors , visitors that THIS is the location where all non-swimmers are to go to anytime they are outside! (treat it like a Fire Drill
NOTE: Could have a alarm/alert system (whistle, air-horn, etc) that a child/ non-swimmer could trigger if outside by themselves
MULTI-UNIT RESIDENTIAL HOA/CONDO/ Apartments , etc)
POOL COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES
- Are there ANSI (universal language signs) posted and/or are they) easily visible? (i.e. no breath holding, no swimming alone, etc.)
- What understanding do the Aquatic/Fitness/CPO staff have of the national aquatic Standards and why they exist? (i.e. Virginia Graham, MAHC, etc.)
- What precautions have been taken to ensure patrons who use the pool alone can get help if needed?
- What communication tools are in place for general users to get assistance in case of emergency? (i.e. emergency phone, radio, signage, instructions, etc)
- What type of sanitizing system is being used? (i.e. chlorine, bromine, salt, etc.)
- What type of filter system is being use? (i.e. sand, de, etc.)
- Who is responsible for the Aquatic mechanical operation? (i.e. internal/3rd party/etc.)
- Who is responsible for the taking and documenting the chemical tests in your pool??
- Who is reviewing the testing standards and all other operational standards?
RISK ASSESSMENT: HOME/RESIDENTIAL is one of several components of service offered by Wesley King Consulting, LLC and our national partners.
To schedule a time to learn more about these services, overall risk management strategies, program development/value-add concepts provided by Wesley King Consulting, LLC.
Impacting Aquatics Since 1995